Skip to content

International Students Abroad

International students at Swarthmore may be subject to different travel requirements for leaving the US, entering their destination countries, and re-entering the US, than those to which US citizens are subject. International students must consult with the Director for International Student Services about their plans well in advance of their scheduled travel.  International students must explore what the student visa requirements are for their destination country (if any).
 F1 regulations require students to be enrolled in a full course of study in the US for at least two semesters prior to the study abroad experience [8 CFR 214.2(F)(10)]. During study abroad students must registered as full time students.  Students who intend to be outside the US for more than 5 months are strongly encouraged to review their plans with the Director for International Student Services. Students will not be considered enrolled at Swarthmore College during a non-Swarthmore sponsored study abroad experience. All F1/J1 students must be enrolled full time in order to maintain their student status.  There are some rare exceptions to this regulation however, please talk to the Director for International Student Services before you drop below full time enrollment or take a leave of absence.
Transit Visas/ Direct Airside Transit Visa (DATV):
You may need a Direct Airside Transit Visa (DATV) if you’ll be changing flights without going through immigration control. If you are planning to transit through certain countries, make sure to check if you are required to obtain any type of airport transit visa well in advance based on your country of citizenship.  It is crucial to check the relevant web site of the embassy for each country that you are traveling through before you depart the United States.  This is your responsibility to research this concern in advance. This type of visa requires a processing fee and may take weeks to receive your visa.  Travel Agencies and Swarthmore College are not responsible for transit visas.