Skip to content


Planning Study Abroad: Funding/Finances

Swarthmore Semester/Year Abroad Program participants remain registered at Swarthmore, are billed according to the regular billing cycle, and remain eligible to receive financial aid. Students are charged the comprehensive fee of Swarthmore College tuition, room, and board for each semester abroad. For the purposes of distribution of financial aid, the student's financial relationship remains with Swarthmore College during study abroad, not with the host school.

For each semester of participation Swarthmore College pays the program tuition, room and board (based on the budget for each program), round-trip travel (with Philadelphia as the gateway city), and local transportation as required. Swarthmore College financial aid budgets for include an allotment for books, personal expenses, and the student activity fee (the student activity fee is not charged while students are abroad). Students should consider their costs for application fees, books, personal expenses, visa fees, personal weekend or vacation travel, immunizations, travel medications, the the loss of the campus work opportunity for the semester.   See Budgeting Tool:  Student Budget Worksheet.xlsx Students can consult the financial aid office if they are interested in pursuing a loan.

Planning Study Abroad: Scholarships

Many abroad programs offer scholarship opportunities. "Scholarships" is a searchable parameter in the database of programs. Financially aided students should consult with the financial aid office about how receipt of a scholarship may affect their funding at Swarthmore.

Each year several Swarthmore students receive outside scholarships that assist them with the costs of studying abroad. You are encouraged to apply to any to which you are qualified. Please note that the following information is subject to change without notice. Check the program websites for the most current information and be mindful of deadlines.

• Association of Teachers of Japanese Awards for study in Japan. Bridging Scholarships are open to US citizens or permanent residents. Stipends are $2,500 for a semester program, $4,000 for a yearlong program in Japan.

• David L. Boren NSEP (National Security Education Program) Scholarships. Open to US citizens for study in geographical areas, languages, and fields of study deemed critical to US national security. (Eligible countries are located primarily in Africa, Asia, Central/Eastern Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East.) Awards are given for summer, semester, or academic year study (up to $10,000 per semester). Students are required to complete a service requirement in the federal government. Nomination is required; see Rosa Bernard, Assistant Director, Off-Campus Study.

• BUTEX Scholarships for North American Students. Open to undergraduate students currently enrolled at an institution in the US or Canada, for study for a semester or academic year at a BUTEX-affiliated institution in the UK. Each scholarship is for 500 pounds, payable after awardees have arrived and registered at the host university.

• DAAD German Academic Exchange Service offers awards for semester or year study, senior thesis research, and/or internships in Germany, with preference for projects or programs based at or organized by a German university. Open to students with sophomore or junior standing at the time of application; students generally must be US or Canadian citizens, though foreign nationals may be eligible to apply if they have been full-time students at an accredited US or Canadian institution for more than one year and will return to the US or Canada to complete their Bachelor’s degree after the scholarship period. Recipients receive a monthly stipend of approximately 650 Euros, plus additional funds to help defray travel and research expenses as well as health insurance.

• Freeman-ASIA Awards for study in East or Southeast Asia.  Open to US citizens or permanent residents with demonstrated financial need, for study in Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Laos, Macao, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, or Vietnam.  Awards cover up to $3,000 for summer, $5,000 for semester, and $7,000 for academic year study abroad.  Awards provide need-based funding to assist the recipient with the cost of the study abroad program and related expenses, including airfare, basic living costs, local transportation, books, etc.

• The General Federation of Women's Clubs of Massachusetts offers up to $500 in scholarships to students whose permanent home is in Massachusetts who will study abroad during the summer, fall, spring, or academic year. Applications are generally due March 1; contact Marta DiBenedetto, Scholarship Chairman.

• The Benjamin A. Gilman Undergraduate Study Abroad Scholarship. Open to US citizens or nationals who are receiving federal Pell Grant funding. Deadlines are typically in October for spring, in March for summer and fall programs.  Awards cover up to $5,000 for a semester abroad. Students studying "critical need" languages (including Arabic, Chinese, Korean, and Russian) are eligible for an additional award of $3,000. Students should list Patricia Martin or Rosa Bernard from Off-Campus Study, as the study abroad adviser who will endorse their application.

• The St. Andrew’s Society of Philadelphia. $15,000 award. Open to students who will study for the academic year at the University of Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, or St. Andrews. Institutional nomination is required. For more information visit the Office of Fellowships and Prizes.

• Monbukagakusho (MEXT) Scholarship (Japanese Studies Program, for a year of study in Japan). Awards are open to US citizens between the ages of 18 and 29 who are undergraduate students studying the Japanese language or culture at a university outside of Japan. The scholarship includes round trip airfare, exemption from all school fees, and a monthly stipend of approximately 117,000 to 120,000 yen. Students should apply through the nearest Japanese Consulate.

•Turkish Coalition of America Scholarhips The Turkish Coalition of America sponsors up to 100 scholarships per year for:
African American;
Armenian American;
Bosnian American;
Filipino American;
Hispanic American;
Macedonian American; and
Native American students.
These scholarships are awarded to eligible undergraduate and graduate students who have been accepted to a language program or university study abroad program in Turkey, the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC), or Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH).

•The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals (CBYX) is a year-long fellowship that gives your students and recent graduates the opportunity to study and work in Germany. CBYX is open to students in all fields of study and at all levels of study, including graduating students who can participate after receiving their degrees. Students in the fields of agriculture, business, STEM, and vocational fields are especially encouraged to apply!
The program is funded by the US and German governments through a grant provided by the US Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, under the authority of the Fulbright-Hays Act of 1961, as amended.

•U.S.-China Student Fellows Program for 2016-2017

Georgetown University’s Initiative for U.S.-China Dialogue on Global Issues is accepting applications for its 2016-2017 student fellows program. Over the course of the academic year a select cohort of 8-10 students based at universities and colleges in both countries will address critical global issues through a web-based platform and meetings in Washington, D.C. and Beijing. Learn more here: